Dates coming soon!
This one-week intensive brings students from public and private schools in Portland, OR together with students visiting from Riverdale Country School in the Bronx, New York, NY at the CENTER in north Portland to explore the meaning of community, urban studies, social justice, and applied leadership.
· The group will collaborate to construct a plan of action that addresses at least one issue in their communities.
· Accepted students from Portland will have the opportunity to host a student from New York for the week.
- Please note:
- 1) There is no compensation for hosting a student.
- 2) You do not need to host a student to apply.
- 3) Choosing to host a student will not positively or negatively impact the likelihood of program acceptance.
· Once accepted, there will be pre-program relationship building through email, Skype, etc.
· Dates: TBD
· Times: Sunday, 4-8 p.m. M–F, 9 a.m.– 3:30 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
· Where: The CENTER for Youth Engagement at 3510 N. Vancouver Ave.
· Cost: $295. No one will be turned away because of inability to pay.
· Aid: Scholarships available! Please complete a request form.
· Eligibility: Any high school sophomore, junior, senior, or recent high school graduate.
· Credits: This program does not give credits, but can give volunteer hours.
· Attendance for all program sessions is mandatory.
This three-week program gives you the opportunity to learn about how government, nonprofits, and the public sector operate to shape our communities while building writing, research, and leadership skills.
You will use Portland as a living laboratory to learn about social justice issues and how you can be a leader for positive change in your community and beyond. This will help you stand out in a job interview or on a college application while giving the skills and confidence to be an engaged citizen.
The curriculum combines an experiential introduction to urban studies with the application of leadership techniques to projects that benefits the Portland region. This combination gives you hands-on experiences while creating a fun environment to learn civics • sustainability • leadership tools • economics • statistics • writing • sociology • urban planning and design concepts • qualitative research and analysis • environmental studies.